Presented by the Young Lawyers Section
Seminar Code: EYL161205
CLE Credit: 2.0 Hours
About the Program:
Legislative action impacts all aspects of legal practice from client advocacy to law practice management. This Legislative Process CLE will present a comprehensive overview of the legislative process, including how ideas and proposals become legislation and how attorneys can actively track and influence legislation that may impact their clients. This CLE will include particular emphasis on the CBA Elder Law Section’s strategic approach to legislative advocacy, which is broadly applicable to all practice areas.
You Will Learn:
- Overview of the Connecticut legislative process
- How to keep up with legislative changes
- How to identify legislation that may impact your clients
- Best practices in tracking and influencing legislation
- Case Studies demonstrating impact of legislative advocacy
- Ways to encourage client involvement in the legislative process
- How to prepare and deliver oral and written public testimony
- How to effectively use the CBA lobbyists
Who Should Attend:
Attorneys of all levels of experience seeking to build or refresh knowledge of the legislative process, and anyone interested in how the legislative process may affect one’s legal practice.
6:00 - 6:05 p.m. Introduction
6:05 - 6:35 p.m. State Senator Kevin Kelly: Overview of Legislative Process
6:35 - 7:10 p.m. Amy E. Todisco: The Practitioner’s Approach to Legislative Advocacy, including Case Studies
7:10 - 7:40 p.m. Melissa Biggs: Lobbying 101
7:40 - 8:00 p.m. Questions and Answers
Cost: Includes a light dinner and parking in the public garage at 35 Bank St
Law/Paralegal Student $25
Materials for this seminar will be e-mailed to registrants prior to the seminar for download. No paper copies will be prepared. Please note that refunds will not be granted once course materials have been received.
The Connecticut Bar Association/CT Bar Institute is an accredited provider of New York State CLE. This program qualifies for transitional and non-transitional credits. Financial hardship information available upon request.