The Connecticut Bar Association, Inc. (CBA) is the preeminent organization for lawyers and the legal profession in Connecticut. The CBA is a non-profit organization pursuant to section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code. Through its members, the CBA is dedicated to promoting public service and advancing the principles of law and justice.
The CBA was founded on June 2, 1875. (Three years later, CBA representatives held a convention in Saratoga Springs, New York, to consider establishing a national bar association. The creation of the American Bar Association was a direct result of that action by the CBA.) From its creation, the CBA was instrumental in developing and improving court rules and providing quality educational and networking opportunities for its members.
Over the next century, the CBA began numerous programs to provide benefits and resources to members and to improve the practice of law. These programs include a formal and dynamic continuing legal education program (CLE); the Connecticut Bar Journal, the organization's official publication; Connecticut Lawyer magazine; the Connecticut Council of Bar Presidents; substantive law sections; and committees.
In 1975, with membership at approximately 4,000, the CBA celebrated its 100th anniversary and adopted a new logo representing "equal justice through law."
In 1987, the CBA hired its first full-time lobbyist to serve as the members' voice at the state Capitol. In 2001, the organization's legislative area was expanded to two full-time lobbyists and a full-time legislative assistant "to encourage good legislation to the extent that partisan interests are not served thereby and to discourage bad legislation."
In 2000, the CBA took another step forward by creating the CT Bar Institute, Inc., and by purchasing the CBA Law Center at 30 Bank Street in New Britain. The CTBI was incorporated as a non-profit, tax-exempt charitable organization pursuant to section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Through the CTBI, the CBA carries out its educational and charitable purposes-providing quality continuing legal education, publishing scholarly legal materials, and rendering services to the public.
At the 2003 CBA Annual Meeting, the CBA unveiled a new logo and a completely redesigned and redeveloped Web site. The new logo underscored the CBA's stature as a comprehensive organization comprised of lawyers from a wide variety of practice areas and diverse backgrounds- all working under one umbrella to enhance the legal profession.
In May 2008, the CBA began a complete renovation project of the CBA Law Center that expanded the third floor conference area, created a member lounge, reorganized second floor offices for CBA/CTBI staff, and included a new entrance/lobby and a Wall of Honor/President's Gallery.
For more in-depth information about the history of the Connecticut Bar Association, see Victor M. Gordon's, "A History of the First One Hundred Years of the Connecticut Bar Association: 1875-1975", 49 Conn. Bar. Journal 201 (1975) and Edward L. Johnson, Jr.'s, "Connecticut Bar Association History: 1975-2000", 75 Conn. Bar. Journal 185 (2001).