About Henry J. Naruk (1928-1991)
Attorney Henry J. Naruk served as the CBA’s 60th president from 1983 to 1984. Under his leadership, the CBA opened up new offices at 101 Corporate Place in Rocky Hill (moving from Lewis Street in Hartford). Under President Naruk, the CBA conducted a search to replace Daniel Hovey, the executive director who left the CBA to become executive director at the Massachusetts Bar Association. Information notes that there were 60 applicants for the CBA position. Paul Carlin, the executive director of the Baltimore City Bar Association, was chosen to lead the CBA. In addition, under President Naruk’s leadership, about 5,322 attorneys took part in CLE seminars in 1983. That year, the CBA Board of Governors also approved a section on Women and the Law.
President Naruk served as a superior court judge from 1969 to 1980 and was the first president of the Connecticut Judges Association. Prior to his appointment to the Bench, Attorney Naruk practiced law in Torrington and Hartford. He was also a prosecutor for Torrington City Court and a corporation counsel for the Town of Torrington. After his retirement from the Bench, he became a vice president and associate general counsel of the Travelers Insurance Company, Claim Department. He was a graduate of Wesleyan University and Harvard Law School and admitted to the Connecticut Bar in 1953. He was the co-author of Supplement Connecticut Civil Procedures, 2nd edition.
The Henry J. Naruk Award was established in 1994.